The future of the BBC - serving the Saga market Saturday, January 13, 2007
The Economist has an article here about the BBC which is set to get another 10 years of public money, but argues that technology is undermining the case for its public funding of GBP3.3bn ($5.9bn) per annum.
It offers up some fascinating stats -
- The BBC has 6m webpages receiving approximately 1 billion hits per month;
- it is developing its' own music player, the "iplayer" release of which is contingent on Ofcomm approval;
- BBC Worldwise contributed GBP145m last year thanks to its' ability to exploit BBC content
- BBC terrestrial has an audience share of 22%
- Average age of BBC viewers is 53 years old, the highest of the five main UK channels